Thursday, October 11, 2012

"Chemo Brain"

Hello friends!

I hope you have been enjoying your Fall and all of the sports that are on this time of year!

It has been a very busy one for my family and my wife who recently returned to school full time to finish getting her bachelors degree. Prior to her cancer she had not attended college more than three quarters time so I was surprised when she decided to carry a full time load knowing she would be helping our four kids with their homework as well. I'm not much help in the Math, English and Science departments. But I do help with History and Geography...so I'm not totally useless as a parental tutor.

I was also concerned how she would do after completing her chemotherapy last year and the affect it had on her ability to remember. I wrote a section about this in the book:


Cognitive Function

"Many studies on the cognitive effects of chemotherapy will mention the terms chemo brain or chemonesia.  These drugs can really affect functions of thinking, remembering and learning.

You may have to remind her of what she needs to do and where she needs to be. This can be frustrating for you as you probably relied on her to remind you! Make a mental note or write down what she tells you to help her remember. Jot it down on a calendar so she can check it often."


I must say that I have been really impressed at how school has helped with this aspect. I could really notice within months of her finishing her treatment that she would struggle with her short term memory. I feel the consistent schedule and assignments have really worked the part of her brain that handles thinking, remembering and learning for the better. She has noticed it as well.

You are never to old to stop learning. If your wife will not be returning to school or a job after completing her chemotherapy I suggest helping her pick up a new interest she can study to help reverse these affects after she feels well enough.

I'm so glad she has a math class as it saves me some embarrassment from pretending to know what x is!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment