Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cancer is like a hurricane?

As my wife gears up for reconstructive surgery next month I asked her if she was ready for it and if she really wanted to go through another surgery. I told her I would love her no matter what and not to do it just for me. That's when she mentioned her battle with breast cancer was like surviving a hurricane and she needed to try to rebuild herself. She explained that when it hit her life a few years ago, her life became very chaotic.

When a hurricane hits, buildings are destroyed, debris is flying all over, and landscapes are changed beyond recognition. This was like going through her treatments for cancer. They made her hair fall out, body parts were removed, skin was burned and she felt like she was unrecognizable.

But do you just give up?

Do people after a hurricane just give up?

No!

They get to rebuilding the lives they once had. Yes, their life is different from the one they had before but they still rebuild.

I realized that my wife was going through these surgeries to get some of her old self back as best as she could. Not for anyone else to recognize her, but for her self-recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment